Saturday, March 31, 2012

Chinese Toolbox 2012 is released!

I'm very pleased to announce the availability of Chinese Toolbox 2012. It is always so satifying to be able to do a software release. So much effort has gone into this project, and it's with a smile on my face that I complete this phase.

Of course, there's more to come--this project will never end. I already have my list of things to do for the next update.

Regarding updates, I am going to be trying something different. Testing has become a huge part of the effort I put into this project. After completing development of a major release, testing seems to take forever. Actually, it usually takes one to three months, but these few months seem like an eternity. During the testing phase I don't develop new features, and it's development that I love. So, moving forward I plan to do releases in smaller increments, at least for new features that don't require huge architectural changes to the code. Fewer code changes in a release should translate into a shorter period of testing.

I hope you enjoy using this new version. Of course, it does not solve all the problems related to learning Chinese, but I promise to continue my effort. If you have suggestions for new features, I'm all ears; I'd love to hear from you.

Also, I am looking forward to spending more time designing a companion program for Android, mainly for review and testing. Others have developed very useful programs for mobile devices, and I'm looking forward to giving them a little competition. So, if have a wish list for an Android app for reviewing Chinese flashcards, shoot it off to me.

Finally, I just want to express my appreciation to those who support me in this project. The financial support and the positive emails are all very, very encouraging to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me